Strange startup behaviour.

Danny Carroll danny at dannysplace.net
Fri Jul 3 00:29:39 UTC 2009

Danny Carroll wrote:
> That would surprise me.   The thing that looked strange to me was that
> there was a heap of files in /etc/rc.d/ that look like they had not been
> accessed since the last shutdown of the machine.

I think I figured out this behaviour.
I believe that the access times are different because at boot time
adjkerntz runs and sets the correct time (or rather zone) during boot.

The times are 10 hours apart which is the difference between UTC and my
time zone.  It was a strange co-incidence that I rebooted my machine
yesterday twice, the second time was almost 10 hours after the first
which is why I was confused.

Perhaps if the clock was set to UTC then this would not happen.

It still does not explain why /etc/rc.d/natd does not start natd at
boot.  I also tried copying /etc/rc.d/natd to /usr/local/etc/rc.d in the
thought that this was a chicken/egg problem and /usr/local/etc/rc.d
scripts might run late enough to work.  But I still need to restart natd
manually.

-D