POLL: Linux preferences from FreeBSD users

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jul 2 05:21:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:58:15 -0400, Daniel Underwood <djuatdelta at gmail.com> wrote:
> QUESTION: Of the various modern Linux distributions, which do you
> prefer? and why?

Actually, I'm not a Linux user. But Linux was my first step into
using UNIX on a x86 PC. More than 10 years ago, I started with
Slackware Linux, and with the rise of FreeBSD 4.0, I did abandon
it.

"Modern" Linux distributions don't appeal very much to me, because
they are messy: Missing manpages, partially ununderstandable file
system hierarchy layout, untidy source code. Ah yes, and I need a
very modern PC to run them. No thanks, not my party. That's why I
can't tell about them, because I've not used them.

The only thing that I observed when playing around with SuSE live
CDs was that the Gnome version of their Linux had a much better
internationalisation than the KDE version. Set language to "German",
and Gnome gives german text and messages most of the time, nearly
everywhere. KDE cannot do that. It even gives english error messages.
This is what scares Germans who want to try Linux. They cannot
stand such complicated computer thingies. :-)

> I'm very interested to see the spread of opinion about Linux
> distributions from FreeBSD fans.

Why?

And an addition: I'm not a "FreeBSD fan", I'm a FreeBSD user. I
am using it because it serves my needs best, and I am nearly
exclusively using it (along with Solaris).

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0