load kernel from different media

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Wed Jul 1 21:40:51 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I cannot boot my motherboard with the default kernel on 7.2-RELEASE (or
any other iso's I have tried). It panics if device sbp is in the kernel.
So far I've got things working by putting the hard disk in another
machine, installed the OS and rebuilt a kernel without sbp, then
returned the disk to my computer. That's ok for a one off install but
this machine is supposed to be for messing around.

Can I load a kernel from some other media? Eg boot from an install CD,
interrupt the boot, load a modified kernel from a usb stick or installed
hard drive and continue booting from the CD.

At the boot prompt I can list disks with lsdev and I can load and unload
a kernel from the media I booted from (obviously) but I can't see how to
load a kernel from another disk.

I checked man 8 loader and man 8 boot but couldn't see what I wanted,
hopefully I didn't just miss it. If the answer is in there I would
really appreciate a pointer.

Thanks

Chris