Cloning to different disks.

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Wed Jul 1 20:16:00 UTC 2009

Grant Peel wrote:
> Thanks Sir!
>

> What is the easiest way to make sure the new disk is bootable.
>
> Also, it just occured to me....we have a few different versions of
> SCSI drives SCSI-2 SAS etc.
>
> Can I assume the the da driver will handle all these OK...ie. should
> not see any fstab problems?
>
> -Grant

For fstab, I would consider labelling the partitions (see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-glabel.html
esp. the example at the end of the section).
I am not very familiar with SCSI disks, but all should appear as 'da',
the only problem is whether the drivers for the specific SCSI adapters
are already in GENERIC. Otherwise, you would need to load them as
modules or compile them in a custom kernel.

To make sure your new disk is bootable:

# fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 /dev/da0  (use actual device name of course)

or if you just need a standard MBR (no custom F1 ... F2 boot menu at start):

# fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr /dev/da0

Then install boot1 and boot2 in your boot slice:

# bsdlabel -B /dev/da0s1

For more information, see this handbook section:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/boot-blocks.html