Cloning to different disks.

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Wed Jul 1 19:25:29 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I have serveral machines that are running different versions of FreeBSD.

Each machine only has 1 hard disk, but they all have a CD ROM and USB available.

I have built a pristine system with all packages and ports installed that I need.

I am now wanting to clone this to all the machines. The dificulty being that they all have various Disk sizes and interfaces (i.e. SCSI 3, SAS, etc).

I am wondering how everyone else might handle this situation. BTW, The new build uses a standard Generic kernel, i386 build.

I was thinking of:

Booting with a live CD, refdisking, labeling, then using dumps from memory stick.

Comments please,

-Grant