Questions on portmaster

mfv mrkvrg at acm.org
Wed Jul 1 15:14:14 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, 1 July 2009 02:02:47 Manish Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using portmaster on FreeBSD-7.2 to keep my ports up to date. When
> there are multiple ports to be updated, portmaster will fork off child
> processes. Does each child start 'make fetch' in the background ? I ask
> this because the parent process attached to the console reports very low
> data transfer rates (in the range of 0.7 to 4.0 kBps, while normally I
> get 30 to 35 kBps).
>
> Further, how can portmaster be tuned to automatically ignore ports which
> are actually marked as IGNORE in the port directory ? This is not
> covered in the manpage.
>
> While doing portmaster -a, I have only managed to stop portmaster from
> building exactly one port specified with the -x option. Can I get to
> stop multiple ports from being built ? Is there regular expression
> support for the -x option ?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Hello Manish,

Regarding your last point about excluding particular ports I always thought
that it would be convenient to have a section in /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc
and/or $HOME/.portmasterrc to identify these particular ports.  I prefer to
have all this information in one place rather than scattered over many
subdirectories.

I had the same problem with trying to have multiple instances of "-x" but gave
up and used +IGNOREME instead.  Some time ago I succeeded with a regular
expression but it became overly complicated if more than two ports were to be
excluded.  Nevertheless, I use portmaster daily and am very pleased with it.

With thanks to Doug Barton.

Cheers...

Marek