[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Steps to upgrade from 7.0-RELEASE to 7.1-RELEASE]]

Akenner SlackWareWolf at comcast.net
Sat Jan 31 10:55:09 PST 2009

*snipped*

OK, so right now I've been reading this, and I had a look at the
configuration file for FreeBSD-update, and it seems I could use that to
test it out since I haven't really used it before, by basically running
it with -r RELEASE and it would upgrade everything to that?

also being from the Linux world, I'm having a slight bit of trouble
understanding one part, which is what "upgrades" mean in BSD VS Linux.

For example, on my Slackware boxes, I can do this to update / upgrade
when a security problem is found and patched:

upgradepkg name-of-package-slack12.tgz and it upgrades it.

On here they have a different meaning though I THINK... I'm not positive
yet if I'm understanding this right, or if I've gotten confused.

I'm not giving up because I'm really enjoying how FreeBSD works, and
always have loved it, and this time I've decided to take the time to
learn how to run it properly, which is why the last two weeks, I've
spent most of my time using it, asking questions on here, and reading my
library of books on BSD, and reading the BSD web site in the handbook
area so to not ask questions I can find easy.

So, am I confusing these terms with how they work? Or..?

Really I just want to make sure I have the security patches installed by
running something I could maybe add to cron later, or make a very simple
perl script, but if that isn't the best solution, at least I'd like to
have security patches installed and have my machine up to date as much
as possible with fixes.

So, for making sure my machine is updated with the latest security
patches and bug fixes, would CVS maybe be better, or FreeBSD-update? Or
both?

Also if I'm not getting annoying yet, which I may very well be heh, when
it asks for RELEASE in FreeBSD-update,  I know that STABLE is the stable
and trusted one, and RELEASE is the latest one but is tested enough to
be used, and then the bleeding edge one you shouldn't use.... Which
would one pick who wanted to keep updated to do this with and not be
totally insane?

Thanks all, and apologies on length / number of questions. I'm just
tryign to understand how it works so I can take some notes and remember
for myself how it works without breaking it/