anyone suffering with NV / xorg 7.4 issues

Jeff Molofee nehe at telus.net
Sat Jan 31 01:55:01 PST 2009

I know most of you have already figured this out, and others have gone
back to 7.3, but I thought I'd post what worked for me.

I saw many people explain bits and pieces of the problem, but none of
the bits and pieces helped me the last 3 days, until I put em all
together (hard to do when you have to browse with LINKS.

First issues first... I upgrade from 7.3 to 7.4 using portmanager -u,
seemed to go without a hitch. I read UPDATING and followed all the
instructions. Rebooted and everything was broken.

I had everything from no screens, to no mouse, no keyboard, no X, no
startx, wfb errors, you name it. I messed around with xorg.conf for hours!!!

What I had to do was portmanager -u -p -l -y (thanks robert) - This
brought all my ports back to a stable state (took ages)
I build xorg-server without HAL at first, but this didn't matter, hal or
not, it works fine (in the end I selected all 3 choices)
I then grabbed the beta nvidia driver 180.22 from the nvidia web site -
installed it with make install (couldn't get driver in ports to work)
X -configure and nvidia-xconfig would not work for me so I took my old
config and used it (will post below) - running X -configure resulted in
32 of everything (no idea why)
By now I could get startx and X to launch X just fine, but gnome would
not start at all (couldn't move mouse or type ... so it seems)
At the top of my xorg.conf I had to add Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
(thx again robert)... for the longest time I was being an idiot and
adding just AutoAddDevices "off" (reading man helped... duh)

xorg.conf below (really stripped down)

after this I did a reboot and everything is working with full 3D... hope
this helps anyone still struggling :(

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "freetype"
# Load "xtt"
Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
Load "dbe"
Load "record"
Load "xtrap"
Load "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "Auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

### Comment all HorizSync and VertRefresh values to use DDC:
Identifier "Monitor0"
HorizSync 31.5 - 57.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 100.0
EndSection