Problem gdm 2.24, xdmcp D-BUS?

Peter Ulrich Kruppa ulrich at pukruppa.net
Fri Jan 30 22:28:11 PST 2009

Peter Ulrich Kruppa schrieb:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Uwe Laverenz wrote:
>
>> Peter Ulrich Kruppa schrieb:
>>
>>> gdm-2.24.1_5 is not broken, else I couldn't have logged onto my
>>> gnome-desktop some minutes ago. But there are some feature-regressions
>>
>> Sorry, do you mean you logged into a _remote_ machine (via XDMCP) that
>> is running GDM 2.24 and listens to UDP 177? Because this is the thing
>> that doesn't work for us. When I said "broken", I meant that XDMCP
>> does not work anymore (and a few other things that users were
>> comfortable with).
> Sorry, I didn't catch the original posters second last line, my fault.
> Xdmcp is not available via gdm-2.24 .
>
> Greetings
>
> Uli.
As a little excuse to the original poster I did some research:
How about using

	# Xorg -query <IP-address> :<display-number>

from command line? (Mind: you have to set display number to
something different from default 0 (p.ex. 1 or 2) if you are
calling from inside an already running Xorg).

That's a really "thin" client and it seems to work (for me - I
can logon to my wifes Debian machine).

Greetings

Uli.