Upgrade 6.1 to 7.1 remotely?

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 11:36:02 PST 2009

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Thanks, perfect. One of the first things it says to do is a 'portupgrade
> -a', which I already know clamav is going to fail. Is this going to
> cause problems? And if other packages fail to upgrade, I assume I should
> investigate each? However, I don't expect anything else because we only
> have mail filtering type packages on this server and all other packages
> we installed have upgraded fine and at their latest versions now. We're
> also running our own kernel with quota option.
>
> Also, from reading this doc, I'll get the GENERIC kernel with the
> upgrade and then I'll just need to rebuild for quotas
You can try to do the steps and ignore clamav failing, then upgrade the
port after the new kernel is in place.  I guess there is some chance it
might fail to build after the upgrade for entirely different reasons so
use that info at your own risk  Making a backup first might be a good idea.

Once the new GENERIC is installed you can edit and rebuild to suit your
taste, just like you would with a normal kernel change.