Problem gdm 2.24, xdmcp D-BUS?

Klaus Friis Østergaard farremosen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 05:33:30 PST 2009

Hi

I have an amd64 box with FreeBSD 7.0, just upgrade to gnome 2.24.

No I have a problem with getting gdm to start.

I have trieded to:
make deinstall

results in problem with deleting following directories:

pkg_delete: unable to completely remove directory '/usr/local/share/gdm'
pkg_delete: unable to completely remove directory
'/usr/local/etc/gdm/PreSession'
pkg_delete: unable to completely remove directory
'/usr/local/etc/gdm/PostSession'
pkg_delete: unable to completely remove directory '/usr/local/etc/gdm/Init'

Should I just manually remove these directories?

recompiling and installing gdm again when I try to start gdm

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm start

I get following:

** (gdm-binary:5267): WARNING **: Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager

** (gdm-binary:5267): WARNING **: Could not acquire name; bailing out

When I run sockstat I can see that gdm-binary is not running.

I have googled and found some mentioning something about the dbus
system and programs not running as root, but how do I proceed.

any help apriciated

By the way, I need this box as a server where thin clients connect to
via xdmcp and get to login via gdm on the server.

All I did was upgrading from Gnome 2.22 to 2.24 via ports.

/klaus

--
Klaus F. Østergaard, <farremosen(at)gmail dot com>