Quantum tape drive

Jaime jaime at snowmoon.com
Wed Jan 28 13:50:03 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:27 PM, David Kelly <dkelly at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> You list -v as a tar option. Is tar sticking on a file?

I just added that to my script in order to see what was going on.  I
didn't use it a week ago.

I'm dumping straight to the tar drive.  Look at the tar command again
and you'll see /dev/sa0 in there.  :)

> Another question is whether or not tar could be getting caught in a hard
> link or symbolic link infinite loop? Look for duplicates in the output.
> uniq(1) should be of assistance. Perhaps uniq needs a sort(1) to
> preprocess, I forget?

Not a bad thought.  However, I'm certain that there is no recursion
going on.  The delays are happening too early on for that.  Also, this
script works well if I target an external HD but never finishes on the
tape.

Thanks for the idea.  I hadn't considered it before.

Jaime