Problem with ezjail: Manually restarted jails don't come up again

Frank Steinborn steinex at nognu.de
Wed Jan 28 13:22:54 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 09:02:35PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> if it's network services hanging on startup, check firewall and
> resolve.conf inside the jail or wait a few minutes to let possible dns
> queries timeout.
> Also tpcdumping on the nase system for the jail IP might give a clue
> in that case.
>
> If it's something else that's hanging you can find out easily looking
> at jail startup logs and/or the last process started inside the
> jail...
>
> /bz

I guess i found a possible answer to my problem: The jail is running
mldonkey, which is started via /etc/rc.conf. If I don't start it, the
jail comes up as expected. These are the last two processes spawned in
the jail:

37947  p3  T+J    0:00.01 su -l mldonkey -c /bin/sh -c
^I"/usr/local/bin/mlnet ^I ^I ^I>> /dev/null 2>&1 &"
37948  p3  TJ     0:00.01 -su -c /bin/sh -c ^I"/usr/local/bin/mlnet ^I
^I ^I>> /dev/null 2>&1 &" (zsh)

It's suspicious that there are ^I's in there. And as a side-note:
Other jails have the same problem, with completely different services
to start up.

What to do about it? If I start mldonkey manually when the jail came
up, it works as expected, but this is really suboptimal...