Is there a trick to boot 7.1 install CD with USB keyboard?

Graeme Dargie arab at tangerine-army.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 10:16:22 PST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Morgan Wesström [mailto:freebsd-questions at pp.dyndns.biz]
Sent: 28 January 2009 13:27
To: FreeBSD Questions
Subject: Is there a trick to boot 7.1 install CD with USB keyboard?

Dell OptiPlex 745 - no PS/2 connectors.

USB keyboard works on boot menu but during kernel initialization I see this:

usb1: host controller halted
uhub1: device problem (IOERROR), disabling port 2

Keyboard is non-working when SYSINSTALL starts. Upgraded to latest BIOS
and error disappears but keyboard is still non-working in SYSINSTALL.
I've tried both front and rear USB ports. I've googled extensively but
can't find any workaround or trick to make this work. Solution seems to
be 8.0-CURRENT or am I missing something vital here? I was hoping for
some command to issue at the boot prompt...

Regards
Morgan

Have you made sure you have USB keyboard support enabled in the bios and you may also need to enable USB legacy support.

Regards

Graeme