Looking for a Good FreeBSD and General Unix Backup System

B. Cook bcook at poughkeepsieschools.org
Wed Jan 28 06:08:01 PST 2009

Mamlookie wrote, On 1/28/2009 1:29 AM:

>  I just stumbled upon BackupPC yesterday, so I amnot sure how good it can be
> because I haven't had time to test, but nothing stops you from looking at
> it, now that you are after a solution.
> Please see http://backuppc.sourceforge.net
>
> PS: If you do test it out, please come back and tell us what you feel about
> it. I personally will appreciate the feedback, even if to my personal
> address.

I use BackupPC to backup many machines at our school and a few remote
sites I admin during the 'off hours'...

All FreeBSD and a few Linux servers, all over sshd/rsync; it can also
pull data from win32 machines as well, but I don't do that.

I have ours setup with a backuppc 'server' running from thttpd on port 2359.

Keeps all the apache non-sense from messing up the install.. (imho) and
gives a platform independent answer if you run it on something else..
and doesn't mess up any current webserver you may have installed.

It needs perl and a few modules (all of which are in ports) and runs
with very minimal intervention once its done.

Highly configurable, sends emails when there are problems, has many
different ways to connect to remote machines.. etc..

if you are interested in hearing more about it let me know..

    General Server Information
      * The servers PID is 36529, on host storage.phs.pcsd, version
3.1.0, started at 1/15 14:34.
      * This status was generated at 1/28 08:41.
      * The configuration was last loaded at 1/25 13:00.
      * PCs will be next queued at 1/28 09:00.
      * Other info:
           * 0 pending backup requests from last scheduled wakeup,
           * 0 pending user backup requests,
           * 0 pending command requests,
           * Pool is 102.00GB comprising 1152712 files and 4369
directories (as of 1/28 01:33),
           * Pool hashing gives 385 repeated files with longest chain 34,
           * Nightly cleanup removed 4700 files of size 0.05GB (around
1/28 01:33),
           * Pool file system was recently at 37% (1/28 08:32), today's
max is 37% (1/28 01:00) and yesterday's max was 37%.

/dev/mirror/gm0s1h    330G    113G    190G    37%    /exports

This is backing up about 9/10 servers atm.

does incrementals once a day, and fulls once a week.  Keeps the last 10
fulls, and at least 6 incrementals..  (all my settings)