Steps to upgrade from 7.0-RELEASE to 7.1-RELEASE

Zbigniew Szalbot zszalbot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 03:32:58 PST 2009

Hello,

I would like to confirm the steps required to upgrade a 7.0 system
with a custom kernel to 7.1 so many thanks for all suggestions!

1/ Back up /etc (of course backups are regularly done, but based on
what I saw on the list I think such a backup just prior to upgrade may
be quite beneficial)
# cp -pR /etc/ /etc-7.0

2/ Go for the upgrade and merge files (if any)
# freebsd-update -r 7.1-RELEASE upgrade

3/ Install the updates
# freebsd-update install

4/ Reboot with a GENERIC kernel (I do have it)
# nextboot -k GENERIC

5/ Reboot with a custom kernel
# shutdown -r now

6/ Finish the update process
# freebsd-update install

7/ Recompile the custom kernel
# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
# make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

8/ Final reboot
# shutdown -r now

I was told earlier that 7.0 -> 7.1 journey is a minor one and so I do
not need to rebuild all the ports. Is that correct?

Once again, many thanks for your advice!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.slowo.pl