cups raw printing - client print queue sticking

Graham North northg at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 27 23:12:06 PST 2009

I have cups set up on a FreeBSD server to receive raw queues from
windows clients on my home network.  It is being used indepently of
Samba.  Access is invoked directly with http -
http://xx.yy.zz.ww:631/printers/lex312raw .   The printer is an elderly
Lexmark 312L.

The printer prints fine from 3 different WinXP clients - except the
windows print queue does not clear properly.

Basically, I set up the printer via the cups gui interface and all works
well but the windows print manager queue sticks.  The queue permanently
shows status of "processing" .  Interestingly, I can print multiple
print jobs and only one job remains permanently stuck.  Which could/may
mean that each new job clears the "processing" status of the last
job..??  Each subsequent job prints fine, test pages, images, files all
seem to work but the Windows print manager doesn't clear.   Seems like a
final handshake going wrong..?

Could this be a client side setting?
Thanks for any advice out there.
Graham/