Programs loading but sitting in limbo whilst not displaying

craig001 at lerwick.hopto.org craig001 at lerwick.hopto.org
Tue Jan 27 16:55:36 PST 2009

> Im running FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE AMD64 KDE4.1.4 and recently for no reason i can
> think of when i try and load FireFox or Thunderbird, according to my process
> list, the applications are running, but yet they dont ever show up in KDE to
> use//liaise with.  I have even started them from command line but again,
> nothing, it just sits there, no error msg, but process list again, sais there
> running.
>
> I have tried recompiling both ports with no success and im runnin gout of
> theorys as to whats happening.
>
> Any ideas/thoughts welcomed.

Hi Warren

I also had this problem, I resolved it by;
portupgrade -Rf firefox

My understanding is that this goes and forcibly builds all of the ports that
firefox depends on, then firefox itself.

If you run the commands with truss it will give you some debug information on
what it is getting stuck on.

Kind Regards

Craig Butler