Laptop battery life on FreeBSD

Shawn Badger shawnbadger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 15:47:19 PST 2009

Hi, I recently installed FreeBSD 7.1 on my laptop, replacing Arch Linux
and I noticed a significant drop in my battery life (from ~3 hours to
~1.5 hours).  I realize that Linux has their "tickless" kernel, which I
am sure explains the difference, but my question is...  is there
anything I can do in FreeBSD right now to improve this?  And is there
going to be any work done the kernel to allow the hardware to enter into
a low-power state for an extended period of time?

My laptop is an Acer Travelmate 4100 which has the following hardware:
   - Pentium M 1.6 GHz processer
  - 2 GB RAM
  - integrated video/sound
  - 802.11bg / bluetooth

I'm somewhat of a minimalist and don't use X11.  I've disabled the
bluetooth adapter, but frequently use my wireless adapter (intel
pro/2200bg).  Does anyone have any suggestions that could potentially
extend my battery life?

Thank You,
Shawn