Restarting new Xorg freezes system

Luke Dean LukeD at pobox.com
Tue Jan 27 11:18:49 PST 2009

The operating system and ports were all cvsupped and built from source
today.  I'm running Xorg + windowmaker + the "radeon" driver on i386
7-STABLE

My xorg.conf was built from scratch by "Xorg -configure", plus I added
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
to the "ServerLayout" section, per /usr/ports/UPDATING, since I'm not
running hal and I can't get keyboard or mouse otherwise.

Everything appears to be great.  My applications launch much faster than
they did before the upgrade.  Shutting down and restarting X is the only
problem I'm having.  This was not a problem before I upgraded to the new
Xorg.

This is a desktop system.  I launch X with "startx" from the console.  I
can shut down X either by exiting windowmaker or by killing the Xorg
server with ctrl+alt+backspace.  There appear to be some failure messages
on the console when I shut down X, but I don't know what they mean or
if they're important.  I'm attaching a log below.  I don't see any stuck
processes after the shutdown, but perhaps I don't know what I'm looking
for.

If I later restart X with "startx", some corrupted graphical junk appears
on the screen and the system freezes solid.  Keyboard and mouse are
completely unresponsive.  NumLock light won't change.  I can't ssh into
the system either.
I can reproduce this at will, but my hard drives don't like it.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
Do I need to switch to hal?

This is the console log.
The part after the wsoundserver warnings is the shutdown.

Script started on Tue Jan 27 10:44:04 2009
[0:usr/home/lukas> startx
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/lukas/.serverauth.1413

X.Org X Server 1.5.3
Release Date: 5 November 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE i386
Current Operating System: FreeBSD sonata.lukas.is-a-geek.org 7.1-STABLE FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #0: Tue Jan 27 08:36:33 PST 2009     lukas at sonata.lukas.is-a-geek.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM i386
Build Date: 27 January 2009  08:59:48AM

 	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
 	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Jan 27 10:44:07 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
object id 0005 01
src object id 2115 21
record type 1
record type 4
object id 000f 01
src object id 2116 22
record type 4
record type 7
object id 0002 02
src object id 2121 33
src object id 2116 22
record type 1
record type 2
record type 4
finished output detect: 0
Dac detection success
finished output detect: 1
finished all detect
before xf86InitialConfiguration
in RADEONProbeOutputModes
Dac detection success
after xf86InitialConfiguration
failed to set mtrr: Invalid argument
Output 68 disable success
Blank CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC memreq 0 success
Blank CRTC 1 success
Disable CRTC 1 success
Disable CRTC memreq 1 success
mc fb loc is 00ef00d0
(EE) RADEON(0): Acceleration initialization failed
Output 68 disable success
Blank CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC memreq 0 success
Blank CRTC 1 success
Disable CRTC 1 success
Disable CRTC memreq 1 success
Output 68 disable success
Blank CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC memreq 0 success
Mode 1280x1024 - 1688 1066 5
freq: 108000000
best_freq: 108000000
best_feedback_div: 48
best_ref_div: 2
best_post_div: 6
Set CRTC PLL success
Set CRTC Timing success
Not using RMX
scaler 0 setup success
Set CRTC 0 Source success
Output DAC1 setup success
Output 68 enable success
Enable CRTC memreq 0 success
Enable CRTC 0 success
Unblank CRTC 0 success
Blank CRTC 1 success
Disable CRTC 1 success
Disable CRTC memreq 1 success
wsoundserver warning: could not locate specified file
wsoundserver warning: could not locate specified file
wsoundserver warning: could not locate specified file

waiting for X server to shut down XIO:  fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
       after 2149 requests (2149 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
XIO:  fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
       after 1376 requests (1376 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
XIO:  fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
       after 2344 requests (2342 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
XIO:  fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
       after 48875 requests (124 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
XIO:  fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
       after 18635 requests (18628 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Output 68 disable success
wmCalendar: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
Blank CRTC 0 success
wmfire: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
LibGTop-Server: pid 1452 received eof.
Disable CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC memreq 0 success
Blank CRTC 1 success