errors on pkg_create for p5-* ports

Anton Berezin tobez at tobez.org
Tue Jan 27 06:39:33 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 03:14:52PM +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Tuesday, January 27, 2009 a las 02:59:24PM +0100, Anton Berezin escribió:
>
> > Matthias,
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:15:00PM +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> >
> > > After installing 7.1R ports (portupgraded) I'm trying to create packages
> > > of all the ~1000 installed packages; 8 packages, all belonging to
> > > bsdpan-* packages from ports/www/p5-* (exact list below) are giving
> > > errors; what could I do?
> >
> > Something is very interesting here.  If you used ports to install those
> > modules, there will be no bsdpan packages, there will be p5 packages.
> >
> > If you installed modules directly from CPAN, there will be bsdpan packages.
> >
> > So before trying to figure out the problem with pkg_create, it would be
> > useful to figure out how the modules in question were installed, and if the
> > answer is "directly from CPAN", why the "real" ports were not used for the
> > task.
>
> Your question remembers me what I've posted on January 18 to the
> kde-freebsd list:
>
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > The building of the KDE 3.5.10 master port x11/kde3 fails in
>     > misc/shared-mime-info with:
>     >
>     > # cd /usr/ports/X11/kde3
>     > # make install BATCH=yes
>     >
>     > ....
>     > checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
>     > checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module
>     > is
>     > required for intltool
>     > ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
>     >
>     > (this is with portsnap fetch+extract and portupgrade)
>     >
>     > I did by hand:
>     >
>     > # perl -MCPAN -e shell
>     > at cpan> prompt type in:
>     > install XML::Parser
>     >
>     > which made it happy;
>     >
>     > is this a known issue? (Cc: maintainer gnome at FreeBSD.org)

> Well this explains why there is stuff directly from CPAN and why the
> "real" has not been used;

> any idea how to avoid this CPAN access?

Well, there is a textproc/p5-XML-Parser port.  It should be a dependency of
the relevant port required by X11/kde3 (it is not entirely clear from your
mail which particular port has failed its configuration change, the "...."
above might have contained some useful information).  At any rate, this must
be fixed unless it was fixed already.  I would not know without knowing what
port has failed.

As for the immediate problem at hand, could you send me (privately, there is
no reason to involve that many lists) the output of

   ls -l /var/db/pkg

As well as

   cat /var/db/pkg/bsdpan-URI*/+CONTENTS

As well as

   ls -l /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/man/man3/

As well as

   cat /etc/make.conf

As well as

   cat /etc/manpath.config

That should get us started.  In theory modules installed directly from CPAN
should have their files registered correctly with the package system.  It
would be very interesting to find out what went wrong.

If you don't care about finding out what went wrong and why, and you are
sure that the only thing you installed directly from CPAN is XML-Parser
(with its dependencies), then an easy way out is to rm -rf
/var/db/pkg/bsdpan* and to go to /usr/ports/textproc/p5-XML-Parser and make
install clean that.

In this case you would not care about creating packages from bsdpan-*
things, and you should be in the clear when you create packages from p5-*
things.  :-)

> > Another interesting question is whether a previous version of lang/perl5.8
> > (5.8.8) was installed at some point, and whether perl-after-upgrade script
> > was run after the upgrade to 5.8.9 (as per ports/UPDATING entry).
>
> I don't think so that there have been 5.8.8 installed; I installed the
> base system, portupgraded and went directly to the KDE3 master port
> which caused the above error;

Ok.

Cheers,
\Anton.
--
There is no beauty in entropy. -- Eliezer Yudkowsky