Dual-head issues w/ the latest Xorg updates

Geoff Fritz gfritz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 09:45:38 PST 2009

Seems I've been bitten by the latest Xorg updates that trickled into ports
late last week.

Firstly, I stumbled with the "AllowEmptyInput" thing, as described in
/usr/ports/UPDATING (20090123 entry).  Fine, that was easy enough.

After that, I found that the "sis" driver was broken, or at least it resulted
in my card no longer working.  Granted, I have a very old 4MB (or maybe 8MB)
card I snagged at a thrift shop to drive my 2nd monitor.

So I gave up on the sis driver, and tried to run w/ the vesa driver.  No
luck, either.  I can't seem to get that working now.

Either dual-head got tweaked with the latest X updates, or my understanding
of setting up X is extremely deficient.  My guess is the latter.  It's very
frustrating that it just worked, then stopped.  Having this blank CRT in
my field of vision is really tweaking me out.  :)

So, before I get involved in a storm of posting copies of my xorg.conf and log
files, has anyone else had issues with the new Xorg stuff?  Also, is there
a good howto for setting up Xorg with 2 heads and 2 different cards?

In the mean time, I'll be recompiling the whole chain of programs with the
default make options, just to make sure my custom CPUTYPE and optimizations
didn't break stuff.

Thanks.

-- Geoff

P.S. -- If it comes down to posting full config/log files, what's the preferred
         method, inline or as attachments?