make -jN build with portmaster

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sun Jan 25 23:41:26 PST 2009

On Sunday 25 January 2009 20:48:22 Doug Barton wrote:
> Josh Carroll wrote:
> > What I do is the following via make.conf,
>
> I think this is a good solution. Given that incredible foot-shooting
> power of the -j stuff I am not inclined to add something like this to
> portmaster, not even as an "advanced" option.

Given the fact that the build target is presumably -j safe (as far as the
ports system is concerned), it would be nice to have a BUILD_JOBS in
Mk/bsd.port.mk similar to INDEX_JOBS that is already there. Port maintainers
then can also set WITHOUT_PARALLEL (or USE_PARALLEL=NO etc) for ports that
break by themselves (f.e. www/lynx, editors/vim).
portmaster should then have no problem setting BUILD_JOBS on request.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.