Delivering system mail

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jan 25 23:22:13 PST 2009

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:01:11 -0800, Rem P Roberti <remegius at comcast.net> wrote:
> I currently have to retrieve crontab generated system mail from the command
> line.  Is it possible to have system mail delivered to my Thunderbird
> mail client?

In most cases, system mail will be sent to root. If you edit
the file /etc/mail/aliases, you can redirect any mail sent
to root to your local user account (/var/mail/<yourname>)
and then use TB to retrieve it from there (just as it would
have been recieved by fetchmail).

Don't forget to "make aliases" and restart the sendmail
subsystem, see /etc/mail/Makefile for details.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0