Delivering system mail

Gonzalo Nemmi gnemmi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 21:06:48 PST 2009

On Monday 26 January 2009 2:42:13 am Rem P Roberti wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009 11:01:11 pm Rem P Roberti wrote:
>

> I currently have to retrieve crontab generated system mail from the command
> line.  Is it possible to have system mail delivered to my Thunderbird
> mail client?
>
> Rem
>

> On a default system, you probably want to edit /etc/aliases an make root
> mail get redirected to you ...
>
> In order to do so, open your /etc/aliases file, look for the line that
> reads:
>
> # Pretty much everything else in this file points to "root", so
> # you would do well in either reading root's mailbox or forwarding
> # root's email from here.
>
> root:
>
> and edit it so it looks like this:
>
>  # Pretty much everything else in this file points to "root", so
> # you would do well in either reading root's mailbox or forwarding
> # root's email from here.
>
> root:   yourusername
>
> save the changes and run the following command as root:
>
> newaliases
>
> >From then on, all mail directed to "root" (like those crontab send) will
> > be
>
> forwarded to you .. so all you need to do is set up your mail client to
> pick up it's mail from /var/mail/yourusername and there you go :)
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Regards
>

>    I had made the changes to aliases as soon as I set up the system.  The
>    only thing that I have
>    yet to do is configure Thunderbird to go fetch user's mail.  I'll try
>    setting up a a rule to
>    do that and see what happens.  Thanks all for the help.
>    Rem

Rem, you can do better than that .. AFAIK you can create a new account on
Thunderbird and it'll create a new In-box for that account ..

So, create a new account, name it "local mail" or something like that, and
configure it so it fetches email messages from "localhost" or "localmail"
or  "/var/mail/yourusername" (instead of POP or IMAP) so every system
generated mail will go straight to your new account mailbox avoiding the
mixing of external and system mail .. thus .. ridding you from the need to
create tedious rules to sort mail ;)

Hope I helped.

Regards
--