coretemp for AMD?

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Sun Jan 25 14:38:31 PST 2009

Mike Clarke wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009, Josh Carroll wrote:
>
>> For (supported) AMD processors, check out k8temp(4).
>
> That gives very odd results for me:
>
> curlew:/home/mike% sudo k8temp
> CPU 0 Core 0 Sensor 0: 13c
> CPU 0 Core 0 Sensor 1: 11c
> CPU 0 Core 1 Sensor 0: 19c
> CPU 0 Core 1 Sensor 1: 2c
>
> Those are all well below room temperature!
>
> But ...
>
> curlew:/home/mike% sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 28.0C
>
> Which is just a bit below the temperature reported by the BIOS (31C)
> when I rebooted about 30 minutes ago. I have powerd running and it's
> pulled the CPU frequency down from 2500 to 1000. Turning off powerd
> pushes the temperature up to 30C.

It works for me, I ran it and sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature
every 2 seconds in a while loop and cpu temperatures follow cpu activity
closely and change in 1deg steps between about 25deg and 42deg. When I
rebooted and checked temperature in the BIOS it was pretty much the same
as what k8temp was saying just previously.
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature is fixed on 40deg even with high cpu
activity.

Maybe your processor is not supported?

Chris