how to create a DVD backup filesystem?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jan 24 18:51:27 PST 2009

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 03:35:44 +0100, cpghost <cpghost at cordula.ws> wrote:
> In addition to the cdrecord examples shown earlier, you can also
> simply use burncd:
>
> # burncd -f /dev/acd0 -s max data cdr.iso fixate

An addition: -s max will select the drive's fastest speed. This
can lead to problems if your media is cheap and can't handle a
speed of 32x or 48x (writing speed). You can manually set a speed
where you and your media feel safe. :-)

Personally, I don't record faster than 16x.

There is a saying (urband legend?) that you shouldn't record
audio CDs faster than 8x, but I'm not sure if this applies.

> But remember one thing: don't try to mix and match accesses to
> /dev/acd0 and /dev/cd0. IIRC, there are (were?) some issues with
> using ATAPI and ATAPICAM drivers simultaneously.

I haven't found such issues yet, but I dropped burncd some time
ago because it wouldn't work on /dev/acd0 anymore (on 5.x, it
did and was my preferred tool), so I switched to cdrecord and
cdrdao, using the ATAPICAM facility.

> If you prefer to stick to ATAPICAM (recommended), use cdrecord
> to write to the virtual device represending the burner. Use
> cdrecord's -scanbus option (as root!) to find out:
>
> phenom# cdrecord -scanbus
> [...]
>         0,1,0     1) 'Optiarc ' 'DVD RW AD-7203A ' '1.01' Removable CD-ROM
> [...]

I think the camcontrol utility (provided by the OS) works, too:

	% camcontrol devlist
	<HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H58N 1.01>   at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass0)
                                                   ^        ^     ^  ^^^

This command shows you the SCSI ID 1,0,0 and the device /dev/cd0 for
the recorder at the same time.

Instead of giving them as command line options to the various
tools, you can create their config files and put this information
there (refer to the manpages for the name and content description
of the files). But because on systems the SCSI ID's don't change
on a regular basis, using wrapper scripts or shell aliases will
make burning comfortable, and they need service only if you change
something in the hardware.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany