Sharing ports hierarchy via NFS to different arch/versions.

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Sat Jan 24 10:49:26 PST 2009

Hello,

I've got a network running different versions of FreeBSD (6.3, 7.0) on
different architectures (i386, SPARC64).

What I'd like to do is export the ports hierarchy to all machines, but
preserving ports/packages for each version/architecture.  I also want
to make rebuilding indexes run as fast as possible.

Right now, I simply exports(5) /usr/ports via NFSv3.  The problem
comes in with INDEX files and packages.  Indexes get updated only when
the host serving the export updates the hierarchy via portsnap update.
 If I create a package on SPARC64 and the package exists already for
an i386 build, then I've got an issue.

Can someone point me to a doc/google/man page that may give me some
guidance in setting up such an environment?

--
Regards,
Doug