how to create a DVD backup filesystem?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Jan 22 23:38:13 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 02:48:11AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:10:46 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > 	Guys, I've got several directories off ~kline/ that I want to
> > 	store permanently.  Like all my development code in ~/devel, and
> > 	all my music mp3's and ogg's in ~/Music, and all my online and
> > 	mp3 books from libribox.org in ~/readings.  There are PDF files
> > 	and HTML and a slew of other stuff.
> >
> > 	Can I use K3B or some other GUI program to create a filesystem on
> > 	either a few CD's or one DVD?  Right now, I'm cross-backing up
> > 	stuff to four live servers.  It's just data, but I would like to
> > 	be able to inset it into my optical tray, cd to it and cd to
> > 	wherever and read or listen to AND (if some disaster strikes) be
> > 	able to copy my files from the disc to the computer.
>
> You would need a "two stage approach".
>
> 1.
>
> Create an ISO-9660 file system with a standard RockRidge extension.
> This would allow you to master a file system for the CD or DVD which
> is usually represented by a .iso file.

	So if I use my space in /usr/tmp, would I use the cmd given by
	cpghost:

	% mkisoft -R -J -o cdr.iso /usr/tmp/cdr/  ?  If this wouldn't
	% create the RockRidge extension, what then?

> 2.
>
> You record this file onto a CD or DVD using the "data disc" settings.

	Tried that; get lost after the first few clicks... Got to be
	'too-too simple' :)

> Of course, K3B can do this with an implicite step 1 ("on the fly")
> with no .iso file hanging around.
>

> > 	I think I figured out how to create a tiny filesystem on a floppy
> > 	disc, but this was a Long time ago.
>
> Do you think you can tell me what a "floppy disc" would look like? :-)
>
> Don't confuse "disk" ("floppy disk") and "disc" (like CD or DVD).

	---just between you and me, Polyt, i've got to watch my fingers;
	i might type "floppy dick" and that would get lots of snickers... .

> > Anything "push-button"?
>
> K3B should be able to generate an ISO-9660 file system with the
> standard RockRidge extension.

	Exact "where do I click" instructions, please.  Alao, if I'm
	brave enough to use GUI, can I use ~/devel, ~/Music, and, say
	~/texts?  ---I have learned to mouse-around and select my
	favorite mp3 and ogg-vorbis tunes, but that's just 80 minutes of
	music.  No mount, no umount.

> But if you do consider 3 lines of shell code "push-button", maybe
> this is for you:
>
> 	% mkisofs -r -o /tmp/kline.iso ~/kline
> 	% cdrecord dev=1,0,0 speed=32 -v -eject -tao -data /tmp/kline.iso
> 	% rm /tmp/kline.iso
>
> Don't store the .iso file within the subtree you're recording, this
> may lead to infinity. :-)

	Something like that happened a couple months ago.... (*sigh*)

> Of course, you don't need to use cdrecord. The burncd command or
> cdrdao will do fine, too.
>
> For a DVD, you need growisofs.
>
> 	% growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/tmp/kline.iso
>
> In my opinion, all this stuff is more "push-button" than trying to
> find all the settings in a GUI application. :-)

	That makes my century!!!

> As a sidenote, I just like to mention that you don't need to use an
> ISO-9660 filesystem. Because we're on FreeBSD here, you can use any (!)
> file system on a CD or DVD, such as UFS or tar (check advantages and
> disadvantages).

	OK, then what about the mount, umount commands?

	% mount /dev/cd0 /mnt

	// cd to /dev/dv0, read, listen, whatever.  Then::

	% umount /dev/cd0

	??   Would this work with our FBSD filesystem and-or RockRidge?

	gary

    The 2.23a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php