kvm switch

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Jan 20 22:39:34 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 08:16:28PM -0800, Kendall Shaw wrote:
> Do you have a kvm switch that does mouse and keyboard emulation and know
> that it works with freebsd?
>
> I have an iogear kvm switch from around the last time I asked this
> question here years back, that has usually worked with linux, netbsd,
> openbsd, macos and windows. Back then to work with freebsd, each time I
> switched away and back I would login remotely and issue a command to get
> freebsd to recognize the keyboard again.
>
> The newer version of my kvm switch says it has mouse and keyboard
> emulation, but I can't get a straight answer out of them if that means
> the OS can tell that they keyboard has disconnected or not. Do you know?
> Or do you know of a KVM switch, that does that and is suitable for an
> impoverished person's home computing needs?
>
> Also, I read someone's comment on newegg that the mouse emulation only
> emulates 2 buttons. Do you know if that is true?

I have an IOGEAR GCS632U -- a two-port USB KVM switch.  It works great
for me, but be forewarned that using a wireless mouse-and-keyboard set
that both uses the same USB dongle as the receiver for both IO devices it
probably won't work very well.  Even though I have a mouse and keyboard
that are part of a matched set using the same dongle, I have to use a
different mouse with that keyboard so I can plug the mouse into the mouse
port on the KVM switch and the keyboard's wireless dongle into the
keyboard port on the KVM switch.  Otherwise, it works great -- I just hit
scroll lock twice, and it switches between a FreeBSD desktop tower and an
MS Windows desktop tower.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
Quoth Antony Jay: "In corporate religions as in others, the heretic must