switching bsdlabel's label

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Jan 20 10:43:07 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 03:36:34PM -0200, Eduardo Meyer wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Patrick M. Hausen <hausen at punkt.de> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 01:24:27PM -0200, Eduardo Meyer wrote:
> >> I have a certain disk where da0s1a and da0s1d are inverted. By some
> >> reason someone labelled root as 'd' and home as 'a'.
> >>
> >> Can I just
> >>
> >> bsdlabel -n da0s1 > savedabel.txt
> >>
> >> Edit savedlabel.txt, switch and restore? (bsdlabel -R da0s1 savedlabel)
> >
> > Why not simply use bsdlabel -e da0s1?
>
> Because I didnt know about that? ;-)
>
> Thank you for the hint.
>
> However I still have the same doubt. Since basically its the same
> task, Is it safe do relabel this way?

Hmmm.  Is there stuff written on the disk.  Is root stuff really written
on da0s1d and /home stuff really written on da0s1a?   Does the system boot
from it OK?

Or is it just that the mounts are switched.
The mount points are not written in to the label.   That comes after
booting.   If it boots, I wonder if it really is switched on the
partitions or if it is just that the partitions are mounted backwards
(probably due to editing /etc/fstab incorrectly).

////jerry