unable to logon after updating ports collection - Freebsd 7.1 stable

Bert-Jan info at bert-jan.com
Tue Jan 20 05:15:11 PST 2009

> "Roy Stuivenberg" <roys1012 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> After I completed my Freebsd 7.1 stable, and updated all the ports, I
>> got
>> prompted with another logonscreen.
>> Whatever I try, I can't login with my useraccount and even not logon as
>> root.
>> This happened severall times now, the only way was to reinstall
>> everything,
>> and I was hoping to resolve this by completly finish upgrading the
>> ports.
>> And .. again the same problem.
>> I'm really hoping to get some answers that will solve this problem,
>> maybe
>> someone had to deal with this  issue before ??
>> I will not give up, because Freebsd stole my heart.
>
> The problem has nothing to do with ports. To restore your root/user
> logins:
> . boot into single user mode;
> . set a new root password;
> . set a new user password;
> . boot into multiuser mode;
> . login and have fun.
>

> WBR
> --
> bsam

I've had the same thing happen to me not 2 weeks ago after upgrading a
server from 7.0-RC2 to 7.1-RELEASE with freebsd-update. For me the problem
had nothing to do with ports but with the update itself, because it
replaced my pwd.db and spwd.db with the default ones (root with no
password, no user accounts) and since ssh doesn't accept root logins I
ended up going to the datacenter and copying the backups of those db's
back. Then everything was fine again. Very strange they got replaced
though..
Sounds like you've had something similar happen to you. Hopefully your
machine isn't too far away.

Bert-Jan