Advice for dump/restore over SSH

FreeBSD freebsd at optiksecurite.com
Mon Jan 19 09:32:13 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm having difficulties trying to clone a FreeBSD 7.1 PC to another
exact same PC over SSH.

There is my the things I tried:

I found that link http://devpit.org/wiki/Dump_and_Restore_over_SSH which
seemed exactly what I wanted. The problem is that FreeSBIE is not
working on this PC (Dell Vostro 220 Slim). It seems to be a problem with
the disk controler (can't mount the / partition).

So, I decided to install a minimal FreeBSD 7.1 on the PC to be cloned.
I'm trying to dump/restore the /usr partition but I got warnings with
the files already being present and it finally crashed SSHd just after
transfering /usr/lib/libssl.so. After that, there is nothing to do with
the PC, SSHd refuse to restart (segmentation fault).

The other soon to be a problem is to dump/restore the / partition (the
kernel and the others currently used files).

My question is how do you clone PC over SSH (it would be too much a PITA
to open each case to plug the HD directly in the source PC).

Thanks a lot for sharing,

Martin