skype permissions

Rem P Roberti remegius at comcast.net
Fri Jan 16 16:25:40 PST 2009

Joakim Fogelberg wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:43 AM, Rem P Roberti <remegius at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Joakim Fogelberg wrote:

>>> This did the trick for me. I just installed skype and:
>>>
>>> will-try# ls -l /usr/local/share/ | grep skype
>>> drwx------    6 root  wheel   512 Jan 17 00:13 skype
>>>
>>> After changing the permissions I am able to start skype from the Gnome
>>> menu.
>>>

>> Thanks for the shot, Joakim, but that didn't work either.  When calling
>> Skype
>> from user's command prompt still get the same result.  BTW, I'm using Xfce
>> as my desktop.
>>
>> Rem
>>

> Just for the record... I'm also able to start Skype from the command prompt.
>
> I'm not sure if I really understand makefiles, but it seems to me that
> /usr/local/share/skype are created with the following directive in
> /usr/ports/net/skype/Makefile:
>         @cd ${WRKSRC}/&&${COPYTREE_SHARE} "avatars icons sounds lang"
> ${PREFIX}/${SKYPEDIR}/
>
> Maybe the directory should be created first? I.e. change it to the following:
>         @${INSTALL} -d ${PREFIX}/${SKYPEDIR}
>         @cd ${WRKSRC}/&&${COPYTREE_SHARE} "avatars icons sounds lang"
> ${PREFIX}/${SKYPEDIR}/

Joakim...

Which version of freebsd are you using?  With all of the chmods that
I've been doing
things began to get a little bunged up.  Couldn't even bring Skype up as
root.  So I
deinstalled Skype via pkg-cutleaves and reinstalled.  In the process I
had to also do a
deinstall/reinstall of linux_base-fc6.  So now I'm back to the original
setup.  I assume
that you followed the directives of UPDATING 20080318 in order for you
to get Skype
to work.

Rem