Importing into VMWare Workstation 6.5

Steve Polyack korvus at comcast.net
Fri Jan 16 08:39:08 PST 2009

DAve wrote:
> While I have not tried it, it claims it can make a vmdk from a
> physical server. I have used it to move virtualized FreeBSD installs
> from one vmware server to another.
>
> http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/overview.html
>
> DAve

VMware Converter on supports "source physical machines running 64-bit
Windows XP/2003, WinNT SP4+, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003".
If you want to convert a FreeBSD machine, it's going to take some
additional work.

There is probably a simpler way, but one option is to:
* Put the disk in a machine running VMWare Server
* Create a VM with both access to the physical disk and an appropriately
sized virtual disk
* Boot a hard drive cloning ISO such as G4U inside the virtual machine
* Clone the "physical disk" to the VM's virtual disk
* Reconfigure the VM to use only the virtual disk; it should boot just fine
* Ship off the contents of the VM folder to your friend.

-Steve Polyack