Importing into VMWare Workstation 6.5

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Fri Jan 16 08:10:34 PST 2009

Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 6:40 PM, James Seward <jamesoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> For those who are running FreeBSD inside VMWare, I have a FreeBSD-7.1 on
>>> hard disk. I also run VMware Wkstn 6.5 running on a Windows XP PC.
>>> Is there an easy way to import from the hard disk to a guest OS? Suppose
>>> have the hard disk connected to the XP box?
>> If you're happy to leave FreeBSD on its own disk (rather than
>> importing into a .vmdk), simply create a new VM and tell VMware to
>> "Use a physical disk" in the "Select a Disk" part of the
>> configuration. Point it at the required drive and away you go. I have
>> used this before to allow me to both boot my PC to FreeBSD, and to
>> Windows with FreeBSD still available.
>

> The thing is, I want to give the whole setup from that disk to a friend to
> run as a server, and he's bent on running it under virtualization. I offered
> to clone this to a disk for him but he says he wants me to help him run it
> under VMWare as a guest OS.
>
> Is it possible to make a DVD out of an already running server, which can be
> used to install it anywhere you feel like?
>
> If I cannot do any of the two above, then I have to install everything
> afresh for him as a guest on his virtualization platform and that is
> time-consuming!

While I have not tried it, it claims it can make a vmdk from a physical
server. I have used it to move virtualized FreeBSD installs from one
vmware server to another.

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/overview.html

DAve

--
The whole internet thing is sucking the life out of me,
there ain't no pony in there.