FreeBSD Boot Manager

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Jan 16 08:02:29 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:20:50AM +1000, Da Rock wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 09:53 -0500, Grant Peel wrote:
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > I am not at all sure whate you are suggesting here?
> >
> > What I am asking, is, somehting like:
> >
> > Can I reboot the machine with the FreeBSD install disk, and using the
> > sysinstall utility, reinstall the freebsd boot manger so I wind up with:
> >
> > F1 Windows
> > F2 FreeBSD
> > F5 Disk1
> >
> > -Grant
>
> Not a chance- why do you think you have to install Window$ first? Gates
> and his cronies aren't going to make it easy for you to install free
> software, and so they make it as hard as possible hoping you'll install
> Window$ and give up.

I don't think you read what he wrote carefully.
You are right in your statement about MS having to be first and
not accomodating any other system.   But, for those very reasons,
his statement is correct.   He has Win already on the disk.  He
wants to use the _FreeBSD_ system to write the _FreeBSD_ MBR
which will happily boot both MS-Win and FreeBSD.

I boot MS quite regularly with the FreeBSD MBR.  It is the standard
recommended way of doing a dual boot.   The machine on which I am
presently typing is dual boot with MS-XP and FreeBSD and it uses only
the FreeBSD MBR with no problem.

////jerry