vipw and bash login shell

Kurt Bigler kkb at breathsense.com
Thu Jan 15 23:16:20 PST 2009

Hi,

When I used vipw to change the login shell to /usr/local/bin/bash (which is
listed in /etc/shells, and was built from ports), subsequent ssh login
attempts fail (password rejected).  If I change the shell back to /bin/sh or
/bin/csh then login works again.

If I instead use webmin Users and Groups to set the login shell to bash (or
any other shell), everything is fine.  There is a delay of quite a few
seconds for the webmin Save operation to complete, whereas after ZZ the vipw
completes without any perceptible delay.

This is with 7.0-RELEASE (Generic) on i386.  Ports were updated sometime
last week.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

-Kurt