correct way to move users?

brad davison demonichandextensions at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 05:31:26 PST 2009

After my debacle with the PAE kernel, I am building the mail server anew.  I had used webmin's user batch file thing to generate the users on the temporary system, but there were some issues with that.

If I have a good copy of /etc/passwd, /etc/group and /etc/master.passwd, is there a better way to move the users?

I saw a very breif website that said to use this method:

"
Move user entries from the following old files:
/etc/passwd/etc/group/etc/master.passwd
Then run the following command to rebuild the password database:
pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd
"

Is this the proper way?  If not, what is the correct way to do this with Freebsd (7.0)?

Thank you,
Brad