Printing - standard? CUPS? ...??

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 14 09:46:30 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 02:44:10PM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:59:33 -0500, Jason Lenthe <lenthe at comcast.net> wrote:
> > The problem [with CUPS] was that certain other software (gtk+ and gnome as I recall)
> > expected /usr/bin/lpr to be the CUPS lpr (the CUPS port normally
> > installs lpr to /usr/local/bin).  It was also necessary for some
> > applications to have /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin in your path for
> > certain applications to work.  My memory is vague regarding the details,
> > though.

When installing cups, I always tell it to overwrite the base tools. I've
got the following in /etc/make.conf:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/print/cups*}
CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=true
.endif

Accompanied by the following setting in /etc/src.conf:

WITHOUT_LPR=true

This will prevent two different versions of the lp* tools being installed.

> One downside I noticed since I was forced to upgrade my home system
> was that some programs seem to expect (!) the presence of CUPS on
> a system in order to print, which they didn't do in earlier versions.
> Yes, I'm talking to you, Gimp! :-) When trying to print something
> from the Gimp (I think it's called "Gutenprint"), the message
>
> 	/usr/local/bin/lpstat: Unable to connect to server
>
> is output to the controlling terminal. It seems that it's not
> enough that Gimp runs slower with every version update... :-(

The upside is that gutenprint and cups changing all available printer
settings.

Roland