laptop battery + i2c bus reprogramming

Michael Copeland michael.copeland at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 10:35:55 PST 2009

Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jan 10), michael said:
>
>> several of my laptop batteries(L-ION) have an i2c bus to the eeprom
>> inside the case. is it possible to reprogram or reset a battery i
>> have repacked from within freebsd or will i need to do this with the
>> available windows programs?
>> what i'm asking is if freebsd actually supports sending of data over
>> the i2c bus from userland.
>>

> The iic driver seems to provide ioctls for userland manipulation; as
> long as you know what to send (and assuming the kernel driver finds the
> i2c chip), it should work.

I noticed the same things, but I wasn't sure if any of the real ground
work had been done. I've been replacing the cells in my batteries for a
while now because I get 40-60% more gain from home built compared to new
batteries from the manufacturer. I'm just tired of the licensing from
the software I was using because it limits how many eeproms you can re
flash.