Mounting a partition from freebsd 6.2?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Jan 13 07:46:00 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:06:25AM -0800, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:

> > > is there anything specific I should look at for switches or
> > > just dump /dev/ad2s1 | restore?
> >
> > Use:    dump 0af - | restore -rf -
>
> It would be advisable to read the dump and restore manpages first.
>
> In 6.1, and I suspect still in 6.2, "restore -r" should be used only
> when restoring onto an empty filesystem or loading an incremental on
> top of such a full restore.  If the destination (current directory)
> is not the root of an empty filesystem, you want "restore -x" or
> "restore -i" instead.

I think he was talking about a full filesystem restore in which
case 'restore -rf' would be correct.

The man page actually is a tiny bit misleading on the -r.
You can use it to restore the whole filesystem in any dedicated space
including any directory.   But with -r you just cannot specify which part
of the filesystem you want to restore, such as a particular directory
or file.  For that you will need -xf which will work for a full filesystem
too in most cases.

////jerry