Cannot get ethernet off the ground

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 12 09:07:46 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:08:16PM -0500, William Gordon Rutherdale wrote:
> I'm afraid it's gone from bad to worse.
>
> The 7.1 system may have recognised the ethernet adapter, but it seemed
> to fail writing to the hard drive.
>
> I got this during installation:
>
>                    Progress
> Extracting GENERIC into /boot directory...
>
>                    Message
> Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 1425408 bytes)
>
> /mtrt: write failed, filesystem is full.

> I think I allocated decent size partitions for /, /var, swap, /tmp,
> /usr.  I made multiple attempts.  Kept getting errors.

The 'filesystem is full' message might imply that the partition for root
is too small. What were the filesystem sizes you chose? There should be
an item in the main install menu to start a shell. If you take that
option and use the 'df -h' command, you should see the sizes of the
mounted partitions.

What happens if you just make one giant partition?

Roland