Builder for many architectures and releases

Andrew Hotlab andrew.hotlab at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 18:49:38 PST 2009

Hi to all.

A lot of new FreeBSD systems have appeared in my server farm since I started studying to where I could migrate from some MSFT-*sigh*-death technologies, almost two years ago. Today the time and the bandwidth required to update all FreeBSD servers (I use the source-based method) have grown so much that it make me feel guilty to waste the FreeBSD Project's donated resources! :[

Thus, I looked for any documentation about setup a FreeBSD builder machine which will track sources and build binaries for all the hardware platform and OS releases I need to support in my network. I have found some interesting articles (http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2006/04/13/freebsd-build-system.html - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/small-lan.html), but nothing which actually addresses my needs. So I started to script an as-simple-as-possible solution using net/cvsup-mirror from the Ports, csup(1) to check out the sources and net/unfs3 to export "src" and "obj" directories for all architectures and release tags.

Before spending even more time on this self-made tool, I am asking if anyone knows some docs or scripts which are just working, because I am not a script master and I do not want to "reinvent the wheel" to do this job! :)

TIA

Andrew