Login accounts don't work after update to 7.1

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 9 09:23:14 PST 2009

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> "Bert-Jan" <info at bert-jan.com> writes:
>> What is the proper way to handle this ? Can I run a command after the
>> update finishes that regenerates the account databases from the
>> master.passwd ? I checked the history and *I* never touched it during the
>> update, so it was merged like it should.
>
> I'm not sure what the proper way is; there's certainly code in there to
> update the databases automatically, so you *shouldn't* have to do
> anything.  To do the same thing manually, you can use pwd_mkdb(8).  When
> you edit the password database with vipw(8), this is handled for you.

If freebsd-update installs a new master.passwd file, it will regenerate the
databases from it.  All I can guess in this case is that freebsd-update couldn't
manage to merge updates into master.passwd automatically, and when it opened up
the file in an editor for you to fix, you didn't merge things properly.

--
Colin Percival
Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve