programs...

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Fri Jan 9 06:43:12 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 11:03:29PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Guys,
>
> 	I've going to give away what I think could be at least a
> 	multi-thousand dollar idea, something we nearly have already.
> 	And a wish-list for a program that does not, AFAIK, exist.

Its called iTunes.

> 	First, the wish-for:: given all the kinds of video and audio
> 	programs that are now on the web, how difficult would it be
> 	to have a GUI [interface] program pop up a screen with date of
> 	airing, and/or date of podcast?  Not to exceed several hours
> 	worth of recorded podcasts... or live recording.

iTunes will suck them down and has settings for when (if ever) to delete
old podcasts.

> 	I can only give examples of thing I watch, but this will give
> 	you some idea.  And bear in mind that at least FreeBSD cannot
> 	capture some programs.  Like "FRONTLINE" on PBS.
>
> 	But for the sake of argument, let's say that firefox or
> 	whatever browser or kmplayer or another player did have the
> 	proper codecs.
>
> 	This GUI app  would find, fetch, and store in /usr/local/tmp
> 	FRONTLINE, NOVA, "In Our Time" and "Everyday Ethics" [BBC],
> 	and "Marketplace", Weekend, 10jan09.

iTunes stores in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Podcasts/

> 	When these programs were safely in /usr/local/tmp/Pods, the
> 	program would send mail or otherwise inform the user.

Script from cron to detect presence of a new file in the above, send
notification.

There are FreeBSD ports for subscribing to podcasts that could do the
same thing.

> 	How doable is this...?  and, yes, i know that many of these
> 	audio files can be subscribed to as podcasts.  I have several
> 	on my Google page.

Get A Mac!

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net