issue with extra top level domain appened to mail

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jan 8 13:44:52 PST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Matthew Davidson [DATACOM] wrote:
> I have a problem with a vanlia 6.3/6.4 install that any mail generated
> gets an extra top level domain appended to the domain.
>
> This is causing mail delivery failures and much frustration.

Run "/usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail -bt -d 0.1" and it should show a
section called "SYSTEM IDENTITY" which should indicate what it is
seeing for your "short domain name", "subdomain name", etc.  That
should indicate what you need to change, but if nothing else works,
adjust this in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf:

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your
domain
#Dj$w.Foo.COM

Regards,
--