mergemaster goof when src upgrading 7.0 -> 7.1

Peter Boosten peter at boosten.org
Wed Jan 7 19:55:51 PST 2009

matt donovan wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Peter Boosten <peter at boosten.org> wrote:
>>>
>> Well, my point is that mergemaster shouldn't have to delete ALL accounts,
>> just to add one. User and group accounts can be added to the passwd/group
>> file *without* deleting the others.
>>

> mergemaster doesn't delete ALL accounts if you do it correctly. I usually
> leave the files for later and then manually do it.

Your 'do it correctly' refers to 'leave it for later', however I've read
at least twice yesterday, that someone *accidentally* 'installed' the
file from /var/tmp/temproot. *That* should not be possible in the first
place.

Thank heaven it never happened to me (knock on wood), but a mistake is
easily made, especially when you just went through a whole bunch of
updated rc scripts.

Peter

--
http://www.boosten.org