Transparent SOCKS proxy (server side)?

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 11:07:20 PST 2009

2009/1/6 Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net>:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009 05:49:22 David Naylor wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My ISP's NAT, unfortunately, does not work more than it does.  This is a
>> problem as I need to provide 'direct' internet access for the computers
>> inside my network.
>>
>> I would like to set up a transparent SOCKS proxy (similar to transparent
>> HTTP proxy, aka squid) on the server.  Does anyone know how to do this (and
>> which ports to use)?  This needs to be a server side solution since I am
>> unable to implement this on the clients...
>
> http://www.freshports.org/net/dante/

As far as I know dante can only be made "transparent" with the use of client
side software (such as the libsocks.so libraries under *nix) and not from the
server side (i.e. tunneling the traffic through a SOCKS proxy).  The
way I think of
it is similar to NAT (in the capturing of traffic)?

Or am I missing something?

David