USB printer problem

Mario Lobo mlobo at digiart.art.br
Sun Jan 4 17:16:24 PST 2009

On Sunday 04 January 2009 14:18:06 Gonzalo Nemmi wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > and nothing happens :(
> >

> > I've been googling for 2 days, read all I could, tried all I read and
> > nothing happens.
> >
> > any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Sure ...
> Acording to your mail, you seem to be using hplip as a back end ...
>
> [gonzalo at inferna ~]% pkg_info -W /usr/local/bin/hpijs
> /usr/local/bin/hpijs was installed by package hplip-2.8.2_3
> [gonzalo at inferna ~]%
>
> Its all there in hplip's installation notes... you need hpssd up and
> running and the printer should be attached to ugen ... hplip doesn't work
> with ulpt ..
>
> [gonzalo at inferna ~]% pkg_info -xD hplip
> Information for hplip-2.8.2_3:
>
> Install notice:
>
> **************** UPGRADE FROM 1.X NOTICE *****************
>
> NOTE: If you are upgrading from 1.x you will need to
> change your devfs ruleset as hpiod is now gone, so remove
> it from you rc.conf.  The printer communication now runs
> through cupsd.  You will need to make the devfs ruleset
> changes to allow cups to access the usb bus and ugen
> devices so that it can enumerate the printers.  You will
> also need to update your hplip.conf.  See the instructions
> below.
>
> **************** UPGRADE FROM 1.X NOTICE *****************
>
> Add the following to your rc.conf:
>
> hpssd_enable="YES"
>
> So all you have to do if you have a custom ruleset setup
> is add the following to that ruleset in devfs.rules:
>
> add path 'usb*' group cups
> add path 'usb*' mode 0660
> add path 'ugen*' group cups
> add path 'ugen*' mode 0660
>
> If you have never setup devfs.rules please read the
> manpage and see:
> http://am-productions.biz/docs/devfs.rules.php
>
> The printer MUST attach as a ugen(4) device.  This means
> that you must NOT have "device ulpt" in your kernel and
> ulpt must NOT be loaded as a kernel module.
>
> If you are seeing device connection errors restart the
> printing chain with the following command.  NOTE: It MUST
> be restarted in the stated order.
> %%PREFIX%%/etc/rc.d/hpssd restart && \
> %%PREFIX%%/etc/rc.d/cupsd restart
>
> If upgrading from a version < 2.7.9 copy the new
> hplip.conf.sample config.
> cp %%PREFIX%%/etc/hp/hplip.conf.sample \
>    %%PREFIX%%/etc/hp/hplip.conf
>
> If you are still having problems check:
> http://am-productions.biz/docs/hplip.php
> If you are still having problems send the relevant part
> of your /var/log/messages, console output from the hp-*
> utility that you are trying to run, and your rc.conf +
> devfs.rules files and the output of "ls -l /dev" to the
> maintainer.
> [gonzalo at inferna ~]%
>
> I've written a small guide on how to set up a printer using cups and hplip
> in f reebsd 7.0 rel, but it is witten in spanish .. anyway ... i still
> think it might help you out .. you can find it in here:

Hi:

No success. I waited hours for hplip to compile/install and nothing :(

here are some outputs:

[~]>usbdevs
addr 1: OHCI root hub, SiS
addr 1: OHCI root hub, SiS
 addr 2: Deskjet D1500 series, HP

[~]>dmesg

snip..
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
ugen0: HP Deskjet D1500 series, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2
Timecounter "TSC" frequency 946495443 Hz quality 800
Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
snip..

[~]>hp-info

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 2.8.2)
Device Information Utility ver. 3.4

Copyright (c) 2001-7 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: No devices found.
error: Error occured during interactive mode. Exiting.

[~]>hp-check -r

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 2.8.2)
Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 13.0

Copyright (c) 2001-7 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Note: hp-check can be run in three modes:
1. Compile-time check mode (-c or --compile): Use this mode before compiling
the HPLIP supplied tarball (.tar.gz or .run) to determine if the proper
dependencies are installed to successfully compile HPLIP.
2. Run-time check mode (-r or --run): Use this mode to determine if a distro
supplied package (.deb, .rpm, etc) or an already built HPLIP supplied tarball
has the proper dependencies installed to successfully run.
3. Both compile- and run-time check mode (-b or --both) (Default): This mode
will check both of the above cases (both compile- and run-time dependencies).

Saving output in log file: hp-check.log

Initializing. Please wait...
warning: Invalid ppd_dir value: None

---------------
| SYSTEM INFO |
---------------

Basic system information:
FreeBSD lobos.dyndns.biz 6.4-STABLE FreeBSD 6.4-STABLE #1: Sun Jan  4 15:08:43
BRT 2009     root at lobos.dyndns.biz:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/LOBOS  i386

HPOJ running?
No, HPOJ is not running (OK).

Checking Python version...
OK, version 2.5.2 installed

Checking PyQt version...
OK, version 3.17 installed.

Checking SIP version...
OK, Version 4.7.4 installed

Checking for CUPS...
Version: 1.3.9

------------------------
| RUNTIME DEPENDENCIES |
------------------------

Checking for dependency: cups - Common Unix Printing System...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: cups-ddk - CUPS driver development kit...
warning: NOT FOUND! This is an OPTIONAL/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Some HPLIP
functionality may not function properly.

Checking for dependency: GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter
and previewer...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for
commandline scanning with hp-scan)...
warning: NOT FOUND! This is an OPTIONAL/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Some HPLIP
functionality may not function properly.

Checking for dependency: ppdev - Parallel port support kernel module....
error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Checking for dependency: PyQt - Qt interface for Python...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: Python 2.3 or greater - Required for fax
functionality...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: Reportlab - PDF library for Python...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: SANE - Scanning library...
error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Checking for dependency: scanimage - Shell scanning program...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency: xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE...
warning: NOT FOUND! This is an OPTIONAL/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Some HPLIP
functionality may not function properly.

----------------------
| HPLIP INSTALLATION |
----------------------

Currently installed HPLIP version...
HPLIP 2.8.2 currently installed in '/usr/local/share/hplip'.

Current contents of '/usr/local/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
# hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hpssd]
# Note: hpssd does not support dynamic ports
# Port 2207 is the IANA assigned port for hpssd
port=2207

[hplip]
version=2.8.2

[dirs]
home=/usr/local/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/local/share/ppd/HP
ppdbase=/usr/local/share/ppd
doc=/usr/local/share/doc/hplip-2.8.2
icon=/usr/local/share/applications
cupsbackend=/usr/local/libexec/cups/backend
cupsfilter=/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter
drv=/usr/local/libexec/cups/driver

# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=yes
pp-build=no
gui-build=yes
scanner-build=yes
fax-build=yes
cups11-build=no
doc-build=yes
shadow-build=no
foomatic-drv-install=yes
foomatic-ppd-install=yes
foomatic-rip-hplip-install=yes
internal-tag=2.8.2.10

--------------------------
| DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |
--------------------------

No devices found.

---------------------------------
| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |
---------------------------------

warning: No queues found.

----------------------
| SANE CONFIGURATION |
----------------------

'hpaio' in '/usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf'...
OK, found. SANE backend 'hpaio' is properly set up.

Checking output of 'scanimage -L'...

---------------------
| PYTHON EXTENSIONS |
---------------------

Checking 'cupsext' CUPS extension...
OK, found.

Checking 'pcardext' Photocard extension...
OK, found.

Checking 'hpmudext' I/O extension...
OK, found.

Checking 'scanext' SANE scanning extension...
OK, found.

-----------------
| USB I/O SETUP |
-----------------

-----------
| SUMMARY |

error: 5 errors and/or warnings.

I followed the directions you provided to the letter and still
have problems.

Thanks again and if you know anything else I could try
please let me know

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br